Name: Robin Adams
Role on committee: Member without portfolio.
1. When did you join Arena:
I moved from London to Brighton in 2000 and after going along to training sessions with Brighton & Hove AC and Phoenix I realised that maybe those types of club were not for me. It was all very serious and rather impersonal. I therefore chanced my arm for a third time and attended one of Arena’s track sessions and being given a warm welcome by fellow runners I had no hesitation in joining the club. Best running club I have ever belonged to.
2. How long have you been running:
Too bloody long judging by the injuries I am encountering these days. I am gradually falling apart at the seams. In reality, I took up running after giving up playing rugby because the defenders were beginning to catch me. It was 1981 at the beginning of the original running boom.
3. Where did you grow up:
Not sure I have ever grown up. Tottenham, North London
4. What advice would you give to someone just starting out running:
Suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them. Or to put it succinctly: Keep on running.
5. If money was no object what one thing would you do:
Retire to Killarney in Ireland. Some of the best running country I have encountered my life.
6. What is your favourite song or album ever:
Easy question at last! Very suitably perhaps Bruce Springsteen Born to Run
7. What’s the greatest invention ever:
The pen, as it is mightier than the sword.
8. What do you do to relax:
What’s that then? I enjoy reading biographies and listening to music.
9. Who is your sporting hero:
So many heroes so I am going to take one male and one female: Ian Botham and Paula Radcliffe.
10. What’s the first thing you do in the morning:
11. Have you ever had or do you have a nickname:
Bob the Dog I have been a greyhound racing commentator and tipster for 25 years and currently work part time at Wimbledon Stadium.
12. Do you ever sing or dance at home:
Have you seen me dance? Worst dad dancer ever. I sing all the time and my better half loves it, but then she’s tone deaf!
13. Have you any fears or phobias:
Marc Bonaldi’s questions
14. When was the last time you laughed hysterically:
When I read these questions
15. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
I won a trophy in a karaoke competition last year.
16. What is your favourite piece of running kit:
I have a Karrimor rain jacket which is so good Alan Garnham went out and bought one. Copycat!
17. Tell me about something you would happily do again:
Have kids. I have two. Both incredible people.
18. What makes you happy:
Strolling along the undercliff from Rottingdean to the Marina with my lovely Laura.
19. What do you think about the most:
I am a tour manager, so arranging my next trip is always on my mind.
20. What was the last thing you ate:
Just had a full English breakfast in a hotel in Earls Court. It was damn good.
My big thanks to Robin for this week’s Q&A’s. We’re not far away from having done all the committee members so tune in again next Wednesday for another exciting episode of your favourite Q&A’s.