For this weeks chosen club member we are joined by the man who is a quiet mannered man but has a lot of interesting stories. Since joining the club his running has gone from strength to strength and can always be relied on to give his 100% best. In the Arena team events he can be relied on to give the team a points boost. He is an absolute pleasure to hang with and very easy to chat to. So please raise a glass to Mr David Gifford.
Name: David Gifford
1. When and why did you join Arena:
Off an on since 2012 (mostly off!) but made an effort last year to become more consistent.
2. How long have you been running:
XC club at School then off and on with clubs since University.
3. Where did you grow up:
Hertfordshire, in a little town called Letchworth.
4. How many pairs of trainers do you have:
Six (currently in use). Mostly Mizuno at the moment.
5. Name 3 people that you would have round for dinner (living or deceased).
A Chef, a Sommelier and my beautiful Wife.
6. Tell us about something you would happily do again:
Join the British Army, one of the best decisions I ever made.
7. If you had one word to describe yourself, what would you choose:
8. Have you got any running rituals you do before a race:
No, maybe I should……
9. Who are your sporting hero:
The Brownlee brothers. I like the banter & respect between them, plus the way they push themselves to the edge, and over it sometimes.
10. Stretch your left arm out as far as you can, what can you touch:
A pillow, from our ‘pillow shelves’ we sometimes also sit on.
11. What is your one weakness:
Currently a sub 18min 5k then hopefully a 17:30 5k! Out side of running a good Steak but my wife would say chocolate.
12. With the exception of the computer, what can you hear:
The baby monitor.
13. If money was no object, where would you most like to visit:
113 Park Ln, Mayfair, London, W1K 7AJ. (It’s the address of the Aston Martin show room in Mayfair).
14. What type of music do you like to listen to:
90’s Indie, Shed Seven, Ocean Colour Scene, Oasis etc, but have a healthy mix on the ITunes.
15. What’s something we don’t know about you:
I have drifted in the Pacific off the coast of Ecuador, after the propeller on the boat I was in fell off. Taught me for paying a local in some random village $10 to see whales, saw some though so got what I paid for I guess.
16. What were you like at School.
Not as academic as my Parents and Teachers would have liked.
17. What’s the furthest you have ridden on your bike:
I’ve forgotten, it’s been so long! I did do a Half Ironman (70.3) once, so a couple of miles but not into three digits. Prefer to swim for a bit of cross training.
18. Would you prefer to go bungee jumping or sky diving and have you done either or are you going to at some point:
Jumped out of one once, intentionally, but on a static line if that counts. Prefer my landings to match my takeoffs, so I guess a bungee jump would be fun.
19. What was the last photo you took on your phone:
My 11 month old daughter doing something amazing, again…….
20. Where are you happiest when you are out running:
I like running out in the countryside, there are some great routes around my village and out onto the Down’s, when I get the chance.
Our biggest thanks to David for his Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know David a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.