For this weeks chosen club member we are joined by the member who was our 1000th member and, as he says, “his first and last trophy…ever”. A guy with a top sense of humour and always good for some banter with. Craig has been a solid runner for Arena and can always be counted on for scoring when needed for Arena. A genuinely all round nice guy so let’s meet Mr 1000, Craig Isaac.
1. When and why did you join Arena:
I entered Brighton Marathon in 2015 but it suddenly dawned on me that running 10k a couple of times a week wasn’t going to cut the mustard…. so I got the yellow pages out and looked up running clubs and Arena was at the top of the page.
2. How long have you been running:
About 4 years but I did run a 400m race when I was 14 and I came last, so unfinished business.
3. Where did you grow up:
4. Which three words describe you best:
Concerned, protective, proud
5. Apart from running what else do you do with your free time:
A busy work/family life doesn’t permit much free time, I only manage to squeeze three runs into my week regardless of what I’m training for.
6. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you this year:
If we’re talking running my 5k and 10k times were high points for me this year.
7. Tell me something you would happily do again:
It may be a case of rose-tinted glasses but I fancy reliving my youth; art school, London and a soundtrack I’ll never tire of.
8. What do you think about the most during the day:
Work stuff unfortunately, I’m ready to retire.
9. Who is your sporting hero:
Matt Le Tissier the laziest, most skilful player of an era.
10. What’s something that you aren’t:
The fastest or the slowest.
11. Have you anything on your bucket list that you still want to do:
No bucket list for me but my next challenge will be the Arena Christmas party and maybe a ‘mini’ ultra in France next year.
12. Think fast, what do you like right now:
I’ve just shazzamed this tune and I’m loving it “love honey, love heartache” by Man Friday……https://youtu.be/790l7dUHjVQ
13. What’s something or someone you miss the most from childhood:
Action Man, Scalextrics, Etch-a-sketch, Tonka, bmx, Tamiya, Bauer, Spectrum, Happy Shopper and poppers.
14. Name 3 people (dead or alive) you would like to sit in a pub with:
Shaun Ryder, Joan of Ark and Jean Michelle Basquiat.
15. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
My youngest son Zachary gave me ‘a power’ two years ago, I always carry it when I’m in a race, he has offered to give ‘powers’ to my friends at the running club….see me at track on Monday and I’ll sort you out.
16. Is there anything that you are afraid of:
17. What would your epitaph say:
“he twisted his melons man”.
18. Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 35, and find line 8. What does it read:
“Just get happy and screaming. It’s happening. It’s just …..house!” Adventures in wonderland by Sheryl Garratt.
19. If you didn’t run what other sport would you like to have done:
Darts (with a calculator).
20. Would you prefer to go bungee jumping or sky diving or have you done either:
I haven’t attempted either but if I had the choice it would be sky diving as it also involves an engine, some wings and an emergency cord.
Our biggest thanks to Craig for his Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Craig a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.