For this weeks chosen club member we are joined by the one and only Dorian Rogers. Always a firm favourite when he is about and one of the Run Brighton ambassadors so someone that gives back to the sport. A top man to hang out with and very easy to chat with. If you don’t know Dorian then I suggest you make it a point to get to know him. Let’s find out a little more about him.
1. When and why did you join Arena:
2011 – I was struggling with solo training and had not enjoyed my second marathon. I needed a bit of a push and thought a club could help. I chose Arena because it was my dad’s club.
2. How long have you been running:
Since 2009. I did the Seaford half in August that year for charity, so I started running as training., Then they announced the first Brighton marathon, so I entered that.
3. Where did you grow up:
Brighton. Born and bred.
4. If you could visit any country in the world, where would you go:
Somewhere in South or central American I think. Patagonia has an appeal.
5. Apart from running what else do you do with your time:
Drinking too much cider.
6. What would you say to your younger self:
Don’t drink so much cider.
7. If you could go back to an age in your life what age would it be and why:
My 30s I think. I could do with being a bit younger, but I don’t think I could cope with my youth again.
8. What’s your favourite website:
www.neonfiller.com (blatant plug for a website I help run).
9. Who is your sporting hero:
Chris Hughton of course!
10. What is your favourite album ever:
69 Love Songs by The Magnetic Fields
11. Have you ever had or do you have a nickname:
Loads and loads. Buck, Big face, Roogers, Big D. The list goes on. Doz is the most common. Recently at a vets track and field meet I gained the nickname “The Juggernaut”
12. What makes you happy:
Simple things. Relaxed time with my wife. Running on the downs. Music. Reading comics (I’m a child at heart). Oh, and cider.
13. What was the last thing you bought:
A Guided By Voices album on vinyl.
14. What’s something you miss the most from childhood:
The joy of not having to go to work.
15. What’s something we don’t know about you:
I once gave former Home and Away actress Isla Fisher advice on how to store a cooked chicken.
16. What’s the one thing you can’t live without:
My lovely wife. Or cheese.
17. What is the hardest thing you ever had to do:
Taking my cat to be put down. That or the Beachy Head marathon.
18. What are your three most used apps:
Facebook, Spotify and the Podcast app.
19. What were you like at school:
A lot like I am now, only wearing glasses. And a lot more annoying I suspect.
20. What’s the last photo you took on your phone:
A rainy festival shot. Attached.
Our biggest thanks to Dorian for his Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Dorian a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.