For this week’s choice we have the man for all distances. In the year or so that he has been a member, he has proved himself to be a fine addition to the Arena club. James always puts in a full showing at training and this has paid off handsomely during races where he has PB’d at most distances now. On top of that James has also slimmed down to become a fine athlete and we hope to have him around for quite a while yet.. He still has goals that he wants to achieve and we will watch this space for 2017. Let’s meet the man himself, I give you James Gladman.
Name: James Gladman
1. When and why did you join Arena:
September 2015. An acquaintance of Emily Proto suggested joining Arena as I wanted to improve on my times and was really not getting the best out of myself at that particular time.
2. How long have you been running:
1986 to 1993 as a junior at invicta east Kent and then restarted late 2014 to current.
3. Where did you grow up:
I’ve never grown up!! Broadstairs Kent.
4. If you could visit any country in the world, where would you go:
Would love to get to Australia, it’s a dream which maybe one day may come true.
5. Apart from running what else do you do with your time:
If its not exercise related then I can be found on the beach sea fishing. (and yes even at night in the winter.
6. What would you say to your younger self:
Don’t give up on your running and try Herbalife!
7. If you could only have one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be:
My Herballife shakes or a good pasta dish.
8. What’s your favourite website:
Anywhere I can find a bargain.
9. Who is your sporting hero:
My Dad / Mo Farrah.
10. What is your favourite album ever:
I have two and can’t choose between them so they are – The Black Album by Metallica or The Fat of the land by The Prodigy.
11. Have you ever had or do you have a nickname:
Yes I do and I go by the name of Slik due to gelling my hair and brushing it backwards
12. What makes you happy:
Most things in life as I’m very rarely a sad person.
13. What was the last thing you bought:
Neoprene chest waders which was an early Christmas present to myself.
14. What’s something you miss the most from childhood:
Not having to worry about money or my front teeth.
15. What’s something we don’t know about you:
I love great white sharks and it’s on my bucket list to go in a cage and see them.
16. What’s the one thing you can’t live without:
My Herbalife products.
17. What is the hardest thing you ever had to do:
To walk away from my grandad knowing that I would never see him again (he was terminally ill).
18. What are your three most used apps:
Herbalife, FB and ebay.
19. What were you like at school:
Short but annoyingly good at sports and I still hold two records at secondary school that will never be beaten as they are not in the curriculum anymore.
20. What’s the last photo you took on your phone:
My personal best Seabass (4lb 11oz).
Our biggest thanks to James for his Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know James a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.