For this week’s choice we have a fairly new member to Arena 80 in terms of years at the club. Laura is about to celebrate her first year at the club In January. For those that have watched Laura’s progression over the year will see that she has come on leaps and bounds in one year. I remember a quote from Laura not so long ago when she said “I would love to faster”, well mission accomplished Laura. Laura is one those people that you would quite happily choose to have round for a dinner party due to her great personality, her beaming smile and her fun nature. Please put your hands together for Laura McKinnon-Clark.
Name: Laura McKinnon-Clark (MC)
1. When and why did you join Arena:
Jan 2016. Why… Because I entered myself into my first marathon and by January I was already bored of my own company on a 10 mile run.
2. How long have you been running:
Since Sports Day egg and spoon & sack races were all the rage.
3. Where did you grow up:
Buckinghamshire-the Chiltern Hills, some great runs were had there with my dad when I was growing up.
4. What’s the first thing you notice about somebody:
I always tend to go straight for someone’s smile (tells me a lot about their character). Mine is mainly always cheeky, so I have been told by several people.
5. Apart from running what else do you do with your free time:
What free time? When I do get a free moment I like to walk the dog, see friends, see my little nephew, go to a dance class, bake and then eat the bakes.
6. What’s the one song that gets you up out of your chair:
Will smith- Gettin’ jiggy with it and a bit of MJ will always go down well.
7. Tell me about something you would happily do again:
Travel the world.
8. What are the three most used apps on your phone:
Strava, Whatsapp and Carrot- my alarm app. I’m not a morning person and it makes me complete bizarre chores before the alarm will turn off!
9. Who is your sporting hero:
Well apart from the amazing Farah’s, Trott’s and Ennis’ of this world, Chemmy Alcott, Jo Pavey, Chrissie Wellington to name a few.
10. What would be your perfect evening out:
Dinner date with friends and family. Moules frites, a large glass of picpoul and laugh the night away until my stomach muscles hurt!
11. What’s the best thing about living in Brighton:
Has to be the sea. Sometimes I really wish I was Nemo
12. Have you anything you want to achieve in 2017:
Get on the property ladder. Plus get some new PB’s.
13. If you could visit any country in the world, where would you go:
I have been lucky enough to travel, but so much still to see, maybe Kenya next.
14. What was the first song you ever purchased (be truthful):
It was either Gena G- Ooh Aah…just a little bit OR Take That- everything changes/ Boyzone- love me for a reason. Please don’t judge me!
15. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
Sir Paul McCartney handed my degree certificate to me on my graduation day. I studied dance at Liverpool institute of performing arts which was founded by the Beatles.
16. Can you play chess and do you know the offside rule in football:
I can’t play chess, but sadly know the offside rule in football (life of a PE teacher)
17. What has been your biggest achievement in your life so far:
Polishing off an entire cheese board! Umm…also recovering from serious knee surgery after having a pretty horrific ski accident.
18. What gives you a high:
Sunshine! Drinking water after being thirsty for a long time, walking out of work on a Friday afternoon. Ah and also food colouring in sweets makes me go loopy.
19. Who was you first pop idol crush:
Jude law and Leonardo Di Caprio
20. What’s the last concert or gig that you went to:
Jamie T live at Brixton academy
Our biggest thanks to Laura for her Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Laura a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.