For this week’s choice we have probably one of the most competitive athletes at Arena, Mr Richard Clayton. Richard has proved himself to be right up there with the best of them at Arena, whether that be at training sessions, cross country, individual races or parkruns. In-fact Richard appears in the club records no less than four times, which proves he has that fighting instinct in him. A great father to two lovely girls and a top bloke to hang out with. A gentle soul but a determined mind best sums Richard up so without further ado lets find out a little more about Mr Clayton.
1. When and why did you join Arena:
September 2015 – why….because I loved the vest!
2. How long have you been running:
Restarted last summer, but was a track runner between 97′ and 08′.
3. Where did you grow up:
Lewes until I was 11, then Worthing and finally Brighton from late teens.
4. What’s your favourite word or phrase:
“Yes Dear” the only two words a man needs!
5. What don’t you like:
6. Who is your sporting hero:
Lewis Hamilton – the man’s a genius behind the wheel
7. Define a moment in your life:
Watching my 2 girls being born, the process is stressfully magical.
8. What’s on your bucket list:
Lots….waiting for my girls to grow up and move out so I can share some good times with my wife again Sub 2:45 London Marathon 2018, but first need to run a sub 1:15 half this spring to gain championship entry.
9. If you were single what would you do more of (apart from running):
Sleeping. These girls of mine do their best to deprive me of it!
10. Tell us about someone you really admire:
My Wife Sarah
11. What were you like a school:
Shy, struggled with a lazy eye which was corrected when I was 18. Apologies if I don’t make eye contact whilst talking with you, it’s a cemented habit Enjoyed winning sports day every year!
12. What is your one weakness:
Did I mention my Calf?!?
13. What would you like your epitaph to read:
Here lies the best Decorator to grace this town. (Whilst holding my Purdy Brush)
14. What’s your favourite music / song / band:
Anything, me and a radio get on so well…..every day, every week.
15. Apart from running, what else do you do with your free time:
Watch the mighty Seagulls Spending it with my girls
16. What was the last book you read:
Surviving the Apocalypse, Vol 5. love a zombie survival book.
17. Have you any fears or phobias:
Swimming into a shoal of jellyfish
18. What do you think would be the hardest thing for you to give up:
19. What in your opinion was your best race:
Like to believe I haven’t had it yet! 800m was my best event back in the day, but probably the hardest race to get right.
20. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
My Dad was a good xc runner and once beat Steve Ovett! Because he went the wrong way! Used to come second to him the rest of the time.
Our biggest thanks to Richard for his Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Richard a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.