This week’s chosen one comes is a modern-day gentleman. He is a man who goes about his running quietly but with purpose. For those of you that don’t know Rob Derkin then I would ask you to take a little time out to meet/chat to him. A great sense of humour and an intelligent guy (yes ladies, they do exist in men) and the man behind the set-up of the Arena website that has really grown this year. (Admin says “I’m not meant tell this part but Rob was also an extra in Quadrophenia back in the day as Rob was and is an old school mod. Ssh don’t tell him I told you”). Let’s find out a little more about Mr Rob Derkin.
Name: Rob Derkin
1. When did you join Arena:
2. How long have you been running?
About 5 years.
3. Where did you grow up?
4. Which three words describe you best?
5. Apart from running what else do you do with your free time?
Play instruments, Listen to music, Watch Nordic Noir box sets, Read.
6. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you this week?
My new bike arrived.
7. Tell me about something you would happily do again:
Running on Santorini as the sun came up.
8. What was your favourite subject at school?
Art, PE, Computer Studies. Unfortunately we had to write our code out on paper as there wasn’t a computer.
9. Who is your sporting hero?
Chronologically Ovett, Bergkamp, Farah.
10. Which is your favourite dessert?
Sahara …with custard.
11. Have you anything on your bucket list that you still want to do?
I’ve not made a list.
12. What is your favorite drink?
Ice cold San Pellegrino Lemonata.
13. What would your epitaph say?
What was that!
14. What was your favourite toy as a kid?
15. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning?
16. Which time period would you visit in history?
17. Quote a line from one of your favourite songs.
‘Curiosity was far greater than our fear
It felt so simple and so prodigious at the same time’
(admin says “a 1992 indie track by Stereolab titled Peng! 33).
18. Are you scared of anything?
Being knocked off a horse with a lance and battered over the head with a mace.
19. If you didn’t run what other sport would you like to have done?
Possibly Jousting – (In full armour obvs).
20. What was the last book you read?
Einstein’s Dreams by Alan Lightman.
Our biggest thanks to Rob for taking time out for his Q&A’s and we hope that you now have a bit more of an insight in to Rob’s world. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.
Admin says “I found this CD and the guy second from the right is Rob Derkin”.