Name: Steve Wood
Role on committee: Im not trusted for a specific role but usually do quiz or race announcing.
1. When did you join Arena: 1995
2. How long have you been running:
I started around 1992 after I retired from boxing.
3. Where did you grow up:
4. What is your greatest running achievement:
I ran the Hastings Half Marathon around 1993 and got under 2 hours so was very pleased.
5. What is your worst/saddest running moment:
Years ago I had a friendly but fierce rivalry with Bob Page over 800m in the Arena Track Championships. In 2001 in a showdown Bob (2m 35s) beat me by 4 secs. I was distraught and didnt sleep for a fortnight.
6.. What was the best advice you have ever been given:
Learn from your mistakes and never stop learning.
7. Who is your biggest inspiration:
It might sound corny but my dad. He was a good all round sportsman and had 3 sons. He taught me and my brothers to swim, play football, cricket, squash, and golf from an early age. He is 88 now but still a joy to be with.
8. What do you like to do on a weekend:
I usually run Hove Parkrun on Saturday mornings, take my girlfriend out for dinner Saturday evenings. Sundays I see my parents, nephew and nieces.
9. Who is your sporting hero:
I was classmates with Steve Ovett at school and followed his career until he retired. After that I loved Sugar Ray Leonard.
10. What’s the one thing you can’t live without:
Family. I have 2 brothers, a nephew and 3 nieces.
11. Have you ever had or do you have a nickname:
When I was boxing it was ‘Hitman’..only joking… Woody.
12. What are your favourite sweets:
Fudge and toffee.
13. Anything on your bucket list that you still want to do:
I want to improve my cooking so a Cordon Bleu cookery course.
14. Name 3 people (dead or alive) you would like to sit in a pub with:
David Frost, Sean Lock and Gaby Logan (she’s very funny)
15. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
I was a boxer for many years and retired at 35 which is why I started running.
16. What is your one weakness:
Right now I’m between weaknesses…
17. What’s the best thing you have ever won:
At 15 I got to the semis of the National Schools and won a trophy for the Brighton boxer going the furthest in the championships.
18. Stretch your left arm out as far as you can, What can you touch::
I’ve just knocked over my bedside lamp.
19. Is there other life in the universe:
I think it’s possible. My nephew Ryan is studying Theoretical Physics and we have great conversations about Parallel universes. He says that statistically it seems unlikely that we are the only lifeform. We should discuss it at the next committee meeting.
20. Anything else you’d like to share:
I am a member of Phuket Hash House Harriers so if anyone goes to Phuket take a look at their website. The runs are spectacular, through jungle and rubber plantations and visitors are always welcome.