For this week’s choice we have a whippet on the track but disguised as a man mountain. One of Arena’s current finest and a gentleman of the highest order. Very much part of the A team and has proven himself a man for all distances. Timmy has shown himself to be one of Arena’s finer athletes gracing the club records in the men’s 10k as well as featuring in both the Preston Park and Hove Park parkrun’s club records. In old school terms Timmy is one of life’s good eggs so please feast your eyes on today’s ‘get to know…’ Timmy Gedin.
Name: Timmy Gedin
1. When and why did you join Arena:
Early 2010. My dad was already a member. Used to run for Phoenix and Haywards Heath Harriers before then.
2. How long have you been running:
Ever since I could walk, earliest ‘race’ I remember was as a podgy 5 year old doing a 1km fun run in a local town.
3. Where did you grow up:
A little harbour town near Stockholm before coming to England aged 6.
4. Which three words describe you best:
Competitive, indecisive, and fastidious.
5. Apart from running what else do you do with your free time:
I eat. A lot. I love food. In between running and eating I go to the gym a bit and I play a lot of Tennis, recently scraped into the County Team.
6. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you this week:
Winning the Super Series.
7. Tell me about something you would happily do again:
Run the 3 Peaks challenge – Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike, and Snowdon. Would like to add Carrantuohill and Slieve Donard next time and do all 5 UK&Irish peaks.
8. What was your favourite subject at school:
Obvious choice is P.E., but also enjoyed science – we got to blow stuff up so what was not to like.
9. Who is your sporting hero:
All time hero is Roger Federer.
My running heroes are Kenenisa Bekele, and Paula Radcliffe – they can shift and then some.
10. What are you most looking forward to for 2017:
Summer weather and the 100mile Relay.
11. Have you anything on your bucket list that you still want to do:
Lots of stuff but standout is probably to climb Mount Everest. (One can dream, right!?)
12. What is your favourite drink:
13. Have you ever had or do you have a nickname:
Have had several. Current favourite seems to be ‘Iceman’
14. Name 3 people (dead or alive) you would like to sit in a pub with:
Louis Pasteur, JRR Tolkien and Rachel McAdams.
15. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
Only food I have ever tried and not liked is raw celery.
16. Who would you choose to be marooned on a desert island with:
Donald Trump – as I’d do the world a favour 😉
17. What was the last film you watched:
18. Which time period would you visit in history:
Not sure really…To live in it would probably be the 90s or 00s as modern life isn’t too bad.
Just to sample for a while then maybe the Chinese Ming Dynasty or the New Kingdom Era of Egypt to see if aliens really did help them build all those monuments.
19. What are your 3 most used apps on your phone:
Mail, Whatsapp, and Strava.
20. What was the last book you read:
‘Go set a Watchman’ by Harper Lee (for like the 5th time).
Our biggest thanks to Iceman for his Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Timmy a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.