Exciting news……as a club we would like to target the Worthing 10k on Sunday 4th June at 9.30am followed by a social after with tea, coffee and cake. This race is open to anyone and everyone…. fast or slow and everything in between!
Mark S has put together a 10k training plan that will launch on Monday 27th March at the track. This will be available to see on the digital club house so that the training plan can be followed independently if you can’t make any of the track sessions.
Dani, Teo, Sam and Katie
Training sessions for the Worthing 10k
- March 27th 6 x 800m with 400m jog recovery between each set.
- April 3rd 5 x 2 1/2 minutes at slightly quicker than 5 k pace. 2 minutes jog recovery between each set.
- April 10th bank holiday 6 x 4 mins with 2 minute jog recovery
- April 17th 6 x 3 minutes 5k pace with 90 secs jog recovery
- April 24th 7 x 2 minutes at 3K pace with 2 minute jog recovery
- May 1st Bank Holiday 5 x 5 minutes 2 minute jog recovery
- May 8th Bank Holiday 4 x 6 mins 2 mins jog recovery
- May 15th 5 x 2 1/2 minutes at 3k pace. 2 minutes jog recovery between each set.
- May 22nd 7 x 2 minutes at 3k pace. 2 minutes jog recovery between each set.
- May 29th Bank Holiday 6 x 4 mins with 90 secs jog recovery
- 1st June Thursday – (if not attending Bob’s session) 5 x 90 secs at race pace with 60 secs jog recovery
- 2nd & 3rd June rest days
- 4th June Race Day!!
There are a number of bank holiday Mondays over the next few weeks. The list therefore includes suggested sessions for when the track is closed. If anyone wants to discuss what additional training they should undertake to prepare for the 10K then please contact me Mark Stephenson.
We have different abilities and speeds but the general rule for these interval sessions is that you should run at a pace that is slightly uncomfortable, putting an effort in but not flat out, at a faster pace than when you go out for a run on your own but remembering that you have to complete the session. Some sessions are at a slightly quicker pace and I have indicated these.
After the 3rd June, during the summer months, the focus on track will be speed endurance with shorter but faster intervals with longer recoveries. In addition we will have the club mile and Bob Page 3K.