For this weeks chosen club member we are joined by the lady who I’ve been badgering for ages to get to do this. Finally she has succumbed if nothing else than to stop me camping outside her house until she said yes. This is the lady with a big smile, a big heart and would be the first person to add to your party list. She has been a big part of Arena over many years and still plays her part now as she was very much involved with the Ladies winning this years SDW relay. She tales no prisoners in her job and I say that from experience. A keen cyclist and willing to give most things a go, we are very lucky to have her along at Arena. Ladies and gentlemen please be upstanding for her Ladyship Fiona Jamie.
Name: Fiona Jamie
1. When and why did you join Arena:
I can’t remember exactly when I joined – somewhere around 1996/97. I had just sold my shop and I was trying to get fit and I had dabbled with running since my teens.
2. How long have you been running:
I have been jogging/running on and off for about 40 years!!
3. Where did you grow up:
I grew up in a Kentish village near Canterbury – my Dad was the local GP.
4. Define a moment in your life:
I was so pleased with myself when I bought my first brand new car. I had missed out on getting a company car when I was working for Hotpoint in Peterborough and I was pretty miffed that other colleagues had got one, so I just went to the local dealer and bought “Cybil” who was a bright red Peugeot 205!
5. What types of holidays do you prefer:
I like skiing holidays in the winter and Neilson holidays in the summer – in other words I don’t like to sit still or sightsee or shop…
6. How long does it take you to get ready to go out:
About 5 minutes!
7. What would your epitaph say:
A bit like my old school reports – “Had a go at life, but could have done better!”
8. Have you ever done anything that scared you:
Tipped the boat over while white water rafting in the Zambezi just below the Victoria Falls – very scary…..
9. Who would you most like to sit and have a drink with:
I think it would be great to sit down with the Queen and get her a bit sozzled so that she could tell me what has really gone behind the Palace doors over the years.
10. What would be the hardest thing for you to give up:
On equal footing – New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Skippy Crunchy Peanut Butter and Toblerone.
11. What were you like a school:
Naughty, lazy and chubby! I hated every minute of it.
12. What is your one weakness:
I’m sure I have many weaknesses, but I really can’t do mental arithmetic…..
13. Who was you first celebrity crush pop star and film star:
14. Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 72, and find line 9, what does it say:
By following a few simple guidelines while walking the coast to coast path…
15. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
Despite hating school, I have a degree in Industrial Engineering and a Master’s degree in Business Administration
16. Who is your sporting hero:
Sir Steve Redgrave
17. What one thing do you like to do the most:
Mountain-biking anywhere away from the crowds – at the moment through the bluebells at Stanmer.
18. Apart from running what else do you like to do in your free time:
I don’t have much in the way of free time, but mountain biking or out walking with the dogs.
19. What do you think about the most:
I am always thinking about what I have to do next!
20. What is the most amazing place you have visited:
The Okovango Delta in Botswana.
Our biggest thanks to Fionafor her Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Fionaa little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.