For this weeks chosen club member we are joined by the girl with the big smile Joannah Arias. A lady that works hard at the track sessions and as the saying goes “work hard, play hard” and having seen this girl in action at the Arena Christmas party then she definitely defines both. A mother of three beautiful children, so where does she get all her energy from to train at Withdean and run in races? It’s beyond me and whatever she’s having then please share it with the rest of the other club members. So guys put your hands together and give a big warm welcome to the lady that is Joannah Arias.
1. When and why did you join Arena:
Initially after finishing Manchester Marathon in April 2015 and wanting to try to improve my running time but I think I was only a member for about a month by the time I realised I was expecting my 3rd baby so I took a break again until after he was born in May 2016.
2. How long have you been running:
I ran as a child in county cross-country teams and was always very sporty – until I hit my rebellious teenage years and then drank and smoked my way through university etc etc. I took up running again after my second child was born in 2011 for the simple reason that it gave me time to myself! Bliss.
3. Where did you grow up:
Leamington Spa in the midlands.
4. Which three words describe you best:
Tall, tired and hungry.
5. Apart from running what else do you do with your free time:
Free time??? (I have 3 small children).
6. What’s been the highlight of 2016:
Awwww so easy – the birth of my gorgeous little boy!
7. Tell me about something you would happily do again:
Have another baby… it’s all just a numbers game now anyway!
8. What was your favourite subject at school:
9. Who is your sporting hero:
Sorry to be boring but Paula Radcliffe. (admin says: I think Paula has been the most popular answer by the majority of most members so far).
10. What will be a highlight of 2017:
I was waiting to answer this one in the hope that I would finally get to say running a sub 4 marathon…. AND I DID on bank holiday Monday. It might not be a remarkable time for many Arena runners but I’ve been trying to break it since finishing Manchester in 2015 in 4.02 and then finding out it was a short course! Marathon running is definitely not my forte so I’m happy to be able to hang up my long distance trainers now and focus on achieving some PBs over shorter distances.
11. Have you anything on your bucket list that you still want to do:
Gosh – yes – lots!
12. What is your favourite drink:
Wine, followed closely by tea. I’m pretty much always drinking one or the other!
13. What makes you laugh:
My children, all the time and pretty much anything on a toilet humour level.
14. Name 3 people (dead or alive) you would like to sit in a pub with:
Katy, Megan and Barbara. 3 friends who live too far away to catch up with on a regular basis – long overdue some uninterrupted pub time with them. It’s the simple things!
15. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
I don’t like parsnips.
16. What do you think about the most:
Probably my kids!
17. Stretch your left arm out as far as you can, What can you touch:
The baby’s monitor.
18. When are you at your happiest:
When I’m with my family/or drinking wine. The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive.
19. If you didn’t run what other sport would you like to have done:
Athletics – loved high jump as a child.
20. What has been you all-time favourite TV programme:
The series 24 – I binge watched it so much in the later stages of my first pregnancy that I swear my daughter recognised Jack Bauer’s voice over her own fathers!
Our biggest thanks to Joannah for her Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Joannah a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.