For this week’s choice we have a lady who, like a fine wine, gets better with age. This lady’s running has gone from strength to strength during 2016 and it looks like this trend will continue for 2017 as well. It’s been said before for these ‘get to know..’ posts but another one of our members who always has a smile for everyone but also a member that gives back to the running community. She is one of the original start up members for the Preston Park parkrun and is still a member of the core team down there. Such an amazing thing to do and a great achievement as we know how popular this one is. Now please put your hands together and let’s meet the lovely Nicky Yeates.
Name: Nicky Yeates
1. When and why did you join Arena:
A couple of years ago because they were the friendliest running club in Brighton.
2. How long have you been running:
I used to run a bit but started parkrun in June 2012 and started doing more and more, especially after Preston Park parkrun started in April 2013.
3. Where did you grow up:
Bromley in Kent.
4. Tell us about something you’re proud to have achieved:
Running? I think either Brighton half marathon (my best time) or Brooks 2015 (against that wind) but the proudest of all was starting my son running because I beat him at parkrun and his best is now 17min 20secs.
5. What types of holidays do you prefer:
Active ones 🙂
6. If you could have lunch with any three people (dead or alive), who would you choose:
Bruce Springsteen, Jo Pavey, Hugh Laurie.
7. What would your epitaph say:
She made the most of life.
8. Who inspires you:
9. What makes you bored:
Illness (reason I missed track on Monday I’m NEVER ill usually and I’m not liking it).
10. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go:
11. What were you like a school:
Swot in primary, naughty in secondary, balanced in 6th form college.
12. What is your one weakness:
Wine is one of them.
13. What was the first single you ever bought:
American Pie by Don McLean.
14. What would be your dream job:
15. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
I used to smoke (a lot) until 1989.
16. Who is your sporting hero:
17. What makes you go wow:
David Attenborough’s programmes.
18. Apart from running what else do you like to do in your free time:
Dancing, playing on the computer, reading.
19. How did you meet your best friend:
At a Labour Party Fringe meeting in a pub on my first day in Brighton in 1980!
20. What are you looking forward to in 2017:
Running the London Marathon (looking forward positively and anxiously).
Our biggest thanks to Nicky for her Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Nicky a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.