Name: Mark Brocklehurst
We are joined this week by the man who lives, eats, breathes, puts on, takes part, writes up and has parkrun blood running through his veins in fact, like a stick of rock, if you opened him up then he would have parkrun spelt out in the middle of him. Truly someone to be admired by the running community for the amount of time and effort that he puts into organising and setting up the various parkrun. Please welcome to the stage Mark Brocklehurst.
1. When did you join Arena:
This is my second year, so I’m a newbie really! 2015, after chatting with Isobel Muir and Rob Derkin!
2. How long have you been running:
Running regularly since a friend started running at lunchtime at work in 2009.
3. Where did you grow up:
A place called Trafford Park in Manchester. (Imagine Coronation Street x 10!)
4. What was the last thing you bought:
My weekly shopping!
5. Are you scared of spiders? If no to what size would you pick one up?
Not scared of spiders though I would have to think twice about picking up a tarantula!!!
6. What were you like at school:
Totally different! Shy, (bigger) and believe it or not, my nickname at school was “Hippy” as I had so much hair!! I also hated the termly run around a local park…how things have changed!
7. Tell me about something you would happily do again:
Fresh from finishing the London Marathon this year, I asked Steve Cram for a photo in a local pub. He couldn’t have been nicer and really rounded off an amazing day (it was my fourth marathon in seven weeks)
8. Name 3 people that you would have round for dinner (living or deceased):
Ronnie Barker, Victoria Wood and David Tennant
9. Tell us about something you’ve achieved:
Running a marathon was a dream…this year I completed my 9th!
10. What’s your favourite book, magazine or comic:
“Weirwolf” – David Weir
11. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
I am a massive Doctor Who fan especially of the Tenth Doctor, David Tennant and I’m a fully qualified tennis coach!
12. What makes you happy:
So many things; helping friends out, good comedies and doing something worthwhile. Just knowing I’ve made a difference somewhere.
13. What do you do to relax:
Usually sleep after my running! I’ve discovered Netflix too so a good movie always helps
14. If you could try out any job for a day, what would you like to try:
President of the International Olympic Committee!
15. Which store or website would you choose to max out your credit card:
Can I say eBay as I could get such a variety of stuff!
16. What is most important in life:
Family and friends
17. Who in your life has influenced you the most:
I never met my Grandad and there’s always a burning desire to make him proud of me, so him I guess, though his son, and my uncle was always like a big brother to me.
18. What’s your earliest memory:
My Dad holding me up to wave at passing trains whilst on holiday in North Wales
19. Name your 3 favourite foods:
Cheese! Pasta! And a lovely piece of toast!
20. Who is your sporting hero:
Too many! Bryan Robson, Andre Agassi, David Weir, Hannah Cockcroft, Mo Farah and Marc Bonaldi. (admin says “there’s a fiver in the post Mark”).
Our biggest thanks to Mark for this week’s Q&A’s and you can catch Mark down at the Hove Prom parkrun most Saturday mornings. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our next chosen club member.