This week we are joined by a fairly newish member in terms of Arena years. For those that have met Paul will already know this but Paul is one for those guys that one instantly take a liking too. A nice northern lad with a good sense of humour to match. If you haven’t yet ahd the pleasure then next time you are out there at track or a race, pop you self forward and say ‘Hi’ (no pressure to now be humorous Paul). Let’s meet the man and see what he’s all about.
Name: Paul Hebden
1. When and why did you join Arena:
I started training with Arena in November 2015. I’d managed to stay injury free for a bit and wanted to kick on with my running.
2. How long have you been running:
I used to compete when I was a kid, then stopped…for years and years. I only started at a sustained level again in the summer of 2015.
3. Where did you grow up:
4. Which three words describe you best:
Loyal, fatigued and occasionally funny.
5. Apart from running what else do you do with your free time:
Running takes up most of my free time (what’s freetime?).
6. What’s been the highlight of 2016:
Oh a PB, here and there. I got one at the Bright 10 today actually, but it was strangely unsatisfying because of the stupid weather.
7. Tell me about something you would happily do again:
Marry my wife.
8. What was your favorite subject at school:
I hated school. But I liked Geography, History, Physics and PE.
9. Who is your sporting hero:
10. What will be a highlight of 2017:
To get close to a sub 40 10k would be nice, but generally to get faster, for longer.
11. Have you anything on your bucket list that you still want to do:
I don’t really have a list. But to give up work and run more would be great.
12. What is your favourite drink:
The first coffee of every morning.
13. What makes you laugh:
My son, Cassius, he’s the funniest guy I know.
14. Name 3 people (dead or alive) you would like to sit in a pub with:
Karl Marx (he used to get pissed round the pubs of Soho and start fights) Jesus (for themiraculous free booze) and my childhood pal Andrew Baranowski who tells excellent stories and falls asleep in nightclub speakers.
15. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
I starred in a Doritos advert (sharp intake of breath): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai4LmH5ZaTQ (admin says “ha ha ha ha you are never going to live this one down Paul”!!).
16. What do you think about the most:
17. Stretch your left arm out as far as you can, What can you touch: A bonsai plant.
That’s crap… I’ll go sit somewhere else, hang on a minute.
Nope, still a bonsai plant (couldn’t actually move. Did I tell you I ran the Bright10 today?).
18. When are you at your happiest:
At home with my wife (Sacha) and Cassius.
19. If you didn’t run what other sport would you like to have done:
I used to swim competitively, play football, cricket and cycle. Always loved playing football, until someone snapped my cruciate ligament and I’ve grown to dislike the game in recent years. I can’t imagine doing any sport other than running tbh.
20. What has been you all-time favourite TV programme:
This is tough, I don’t watch much telly, but I am addicted to Youtube. I’ve watched every edition of the Tour De France on it. I’m currently about three weeks into rinsing all the cross country races on it. There’s some really obscure stuff, Stanmer Park and elsewhere, if you search hard enough.
Our biggest thanks to Paul for his Q&A’s this week and we hope that you have now got to know Paul a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.