Julie initially started running with Brighton & Hove AC at the age of 11. Julie moved to Crawley and then started running for Crawley AC and then eventually running as a Vet with Arena and what a big gain for us. Julie still lives & trains in Crawley so she only gets to see the Arena athletes at races. Julie works in a local Primary school in Reception & enjoys going on family rides & runs with Gary & Tom. Julie has been a fine ambassador for Arena and is very well respected amongst her peers. Julie features in several of the women’s club records at 5k – 17.31 (2008), 10k – 35.57 (2011), marathon – 2.52.45 (2005) so you can see that Julie has certainly earnt her stripes with Arena. So lets find out what makes Julie tick.
Name: Julie Briggs
1.When and why did you join Arena:
In 2004 as my club at the time (Crawley) didn’t have a Vets team
2. How long have you been running:
3 Where did you grow up:
Born in Brighton, moved to Crawley age 11.
4. What would be your dream race:
Finishing the London Marathon strongly instead of dying on my feet!
5. Why do you continue to run after so many years:
I still enjoy it!
6. Who is your sporting hero:
7. Define a moment in your life:
The elation of giving birth to my son
8. Have you anything on your bucket list:
To ride a mountain stage of The Tour De France.
To have a go at Cyclo cross.
9. What do you think about the most about during the day:
10. Who in your life has influenced you the most:
My coach, My other half Gary.
11. What were you like a school:
12. What do you think has been your life’s major achievement:
13. What’s your favourite brand of sportswear:
Not fussed as long as it’s comfortable!
14. What’s your favourite music / song / band:
Ed Sheerans new CD is being played a lot recently.
15. Apart from running, what else do you do with your free time:
Cycle, read, drink coffee.
16. What types of books do you like to read:
17. What’s something you miss the most from childhood:
Not aching after a session.
18. What do you think would be the hardest thing for you to give up:
Not being able to be active.
19. What in your opinion was your best ever race:
London Marathon 2005.
20. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
I used to be a gymnast & play football for a team before taking up running.
Our biggest thanks to Julie for her Q&A’s today and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Julie a little better. That completes our famous 5 blast from the past’s and we would like to thank all of them for giving the club so much over so many years and staying loyal to Arena. They’ve helped shaped Arena to what we see today and we are truly thankful to have had you along for the ride. Happy running guys.