For this weeks chosen club member we are joined by the ever smiling Jo Renshaw. Jo is one of those runners that will always give it her all and has probably run more half marathons than you ‘ve had hot dinners. When Jo is not running, you will probably find her tending to her plants and vegetables in her garden. A quiet lady but with a very calming personality so let’s find out a little more about Jo.
1. When and why did you join Arena:
I joined in June 2015 after running the Brighton Marathon for the first time. My aim was to improve my running and to make more running friends.
2. How long have you been running:
I began running in August 2013, having just turned 40 and quit smoking. I thought that if I enjoyed running and feeling fit and healthy it would keep me off the roll-ups. It did the trick!
3. Where did you grow up:
I grew up in Leicester.
4. Which three words describe you best:
Determined, loyal, patient.
5. Apart from running what else do you do with your free time:
I have a couple of Lurchers, Hedge and Eli. I also have a garden that takes up much time – I grow our own veg and so growing, picking, cooking, eating keeps me fairly busy.
6. What’s been the highlight of 2017:
So far, the highlight has been Brighton Marathon Weekend. My sister and I ran BM10k then marshalled on the finish line. We both found it a very humbling experience and having sworn never to run another marathon promptly signed up for Paris in 2018! That and a lovely holiday in Corfu.
7. Tell me about something you would happily do again:
I spent a month travelling round India on my own in 2010. I’d very happily do that again.
8. What was your favourite subject at school:
Nothing, I hated school!
9. Who is your sporting hero:
Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to run the Boston Marathon. Her determination to make the Women’s Marathon and Olympic sport sends shivers of wonder and gratitude all over me
10. Who in your life has influenced you the most:
I think my Mum and Dad have influenced me ore than anyone else. They taught me to be resourceful.
11. Have you anything on your bucket list that you still want to do:
There are lots of places I’ve not seen in the world. Top of my list is California. Sunshine and prolific food.
12. What is your favorite drink:
Water. We are so fortunate to have clean drinking water.
13. What makes you laugh:
Jumping in to the sea on a hot day, Billy Connolly, silly cat videos on YouTube to name a few things
14. Name 3 people (dead or alive) you would like to sit in a pub with:
My sister, my daughter and my partner
15. Tell us something we don’t know about you:
I practice Nichiren Buddhism and I’m currently training to be a life coach.
16. What do you think about the most:
Food, without a doubt.
17. Stretch your left arm out as far as you can, What can you touch:
A book called ‘Women who run with the wolves’ Clarisa Pinkola Estes. Every woman should read it.
18. When are you at your happiest:
When I’m running, when I’m walking my dogs and when I’m making food in my kitchen.
19. If you didn’t run what other sport would you like to have done:
20. What has been you all-time favourite TV programme:
Breaking Bad kept me hooked.
Our biggest thanks to Jo for her Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Jo a little better now. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.