It’s that time of the week when you know you are half way through it and we bring you another one of those exciting mid-week reads in the form of our chosen club member for this week. If you don’t know this man then where have you been hiding? You can almost be guaranteed to find him every Saturday morning at the Hove Park parkrun where he will undoubtedly run his almost religious time of 19.20-40ish week after week. We have made it a thing now to get him under the 19 minute barrier by the time the year is up so watch this space J. Truly though, Andy is another of the Arena branded all round nice blokes and a solid runner for the club. Now let’s meet Mr Hove Park himself.
1. When and why did you join Arena:
Crikey I am not 100% sure but I reckon about 7/8 years ago. I have Chrons disease and had to stop playing football so I thought running would keep me out of hospital and ensure my health improved. Before joining Arena there would be days when I could hardly move and had to take a lot of steroids to keep the condition at bay. Since joining Arena I have lost 2 stone and can lead a relatively normal life…thanks Bob!
2. How long have you been running:
I am not sure I meet the technical description of ‘a runner’ but 8 years. With two kids all I can manage is one run a week and park run.. I miss track!!!!!!
3. Where did you grow up:
Brighton Born and bred!!! One of the few left!
4. If you could visit any country in the world, where would you go:
Australia, my dad lives in Melbourne and I would love to go back. Incredible weather, so much sport and cheap beer!
5. Apart from running what else do you do with your time:
I have two kids which keep me busy and now play a lot of volleyball. I am trying to crack in to the top 50 in the UK this year but not being 6 foot 10 is an issue.
6. What would you say to your younger self:
Slow down (apart from at running).
7. If you could only have one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be:
Pizza I can’t eat carbs due to my condition so really miss Pizza, oh and curry, and chips etc etc.
8. What’s your favourite website:
brightonandhovealbion.com the best football team in the world.
9. Who is your sporting hero:
Tough one, has to be Federer. To be that good at 36 is pretty damn good.
10. What is your favourite album ever:
Showing my age but Oasis Definitely Maybe.
11. Have you ever had or do you have a nickname:
Ha plenty Dermot O Leary, Christopher Ecclestone, Klitschko, Wayne Rooney, Tore Andre Flor, Alan Thompson..I could go on.
12. What makes you happy:
Brighton winning, Sleep, beer, the kids..not at the same time.
13. What was the last thing you bought:
A shredder.. I am 40 now!
14. What’s something you miss the most from childhood:
Being able to play football in the park all day with mates and pretend to be Tony Yeboah.
15. What’s something we don’t know about you:
Steve Ovett is my godfather and my dad set up Phoenix..he still thinks I am a traitor. I once did a relay race at Withdean with Steve, my dad and Mark Rowlands. They lost because of me.
16. What’s the one thing you can’t live without:
My little boy, crazy but great fun.
17. What is the hardest thing you ever had to do:
Any of Bobs track sessions.
18. What are your three most used apps:
Facebook, WhatsApp and err that’s it.
19. What were you like at school:
Sport obsessed and a prefect…I got to monitor tor toilets at Dorothy Stringer..living the dream.
20. What’s the last photo you took on your phone:
A picture of my son being the mascot for the Huddersfield game it was amazing!!
Our biggest thanks to Andy for his Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Andy a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.