For this week’s chosen club member we are joined by a real like action women. For those that know Fiona then you will know that she doesn’t do sitting around and waiting for the days to pass her by. Fiona joined us late last year but in that short time we have got to know that she is a very determined woman who likes to push herself. Those that may have popped down to her ?0th when we had our Christmas Arena meal will also know that she managed to get one of the coolest DJ’s in the world (Seamus Haji) playing for her so a girl with contacts. Now let’s meet Fiona Bugler and see what she’s about…
Name: Fiona Bugler
1. When and why did you join Arena:
I joined in September 2017, when I moved to Brighton – and I joined because as a former member of Hailsham Harriers, I’d often competed against Arena and knew what a great women’s team you had.
2. How long have you been running:
I started running when I had children (who are now 21 and 17). Two reasons, with babies, time was short and I couldn’t be doing with going to the gym or aerobics classes any more and then when Ciara was born, I finally packed in smoking (after stop-starting for the previous four to five years) and entered my first marathon in 2001.
3. Where did you grow up:
I’m a Hertfordshire girl… grew up as one of five kids, in an Irish family in Croxely Green, near Watford, then Rickmansworth – or Ricky as it’s known.
4. If you were given a yacht what would you name it:
Yacht’s it all about?
5. What’s something that you aren’t:
6. Tell us about something you would happily do again:
Run 20 miles at sub 7 minute mile pace 🙂 and win a race!
7. If you had three words to describe yourself, what would you choose:
Tall, dark and handsome! (Doesn’t have to be true, just if I had three words, I’d pick them).
8. What was your favourite TV program when you were growing up:
Oh…so much to choose from! Eclectic taste from Little House on the Prairie to Boys from the Blackstuff… I can’t choose!
9. Who is your sporting hero:
I now hate tennis but I did love John McEnroe.
10. You’ve been given access to a time machine, where would you travel to:
The Middle Ages, would love to see all the toothless people, hear them speak and see how they smelt. And I’d be hanging out with the kids, as no one lived past 35!
11. What is your one weakness:
One? Again, what to choose…? Red wine!
12. Is there anything you would like to accomplish in the next 5 years:
To complete an Ironman well, and get better at swimming and cycling without becoming a completely useless runner! After that I’d like to go back and being competitive for my age in marathon running. I also want to keep doing what I do work-wise but live in the mountains for some of the year and earn three times what I earn now and have a lot of fun doing it. And I may as well throw in the New Year’s resolution list favourites ‘read more, do yoga and meditate.’
13. If money was no object, where you most like to visit:
The Middle Ages 😉 (I’d ask Branson or someone similar, to make me a time machine).
14. What music are you presently listening to:
Default is SKA, but I have eclectic taste and currently I’m listening to my daughter’s Spotify playlist – a lot!
15. What’s something we don’t know about you:
I went on Richard and Judy with celebrity chef Brian Turner to talk about the Atkins diet.
16. What is the one item you really should throw away but just can’t do it:
Lawnmower that I haven’t used for 10 years. I don’t have a lawn!
17. What’s the furthest you have ridden on your bike:
Oh… can I lie? I did mention I’m doing an Ironman in October … the furthest is 65 miles. But in the summer I intend to do three 100 milers.
18. If you could offer any advice to yourself as a baby what would it be:
I know you’ve just got here, but listen, life is short, don’t take yourself too seriously, laugh a lot and try not to think too much. Oh, and run – a lot. You’ll like that.
19. If you could have had the starring role in one film already made, which movie would it be:
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
20. What is the greatest TV theme song ever:
The likely lads… ‘oh what happened to you, whatever happened to me?’
Our biggest thanks to Fiona for her Q&A’s this week and we hope that you feel that you have now got to know Fiona a little better. Check back next Wednesday for another set of Q&A’s with our chosen club member.