In light of the Coronavirus situation the Arena parkrun series will be taking a slightly different twist for next event and will be taking place in the fictional world known as Arenatopia!
The same points scoring applies, but you have all been given brand new PB’s to aim for based on age grading. This is all described in the box below.
In addition to this there are some new custom ways of scoring, to help make those solitary runs a bit more interesting.
Naturally the rules will follow current government guidelines on social distancing and running with other people outside of your household etc, so these must be adhered to. Further rules and guidelines still need to be followed and are described below.
As is customary with these types of virtual runs now, as we can’t be there at the time of your respective runs you will need to submit a screenshot of your run by sending one of the following to . The following is a list of examples of screenshots that need to submitted with your name, distance, time, age group and final kilometre elevation (if you wish to participate in that bonus point):
- Garmin or other type of smart watch data
- Any other running app that can provide the same type of data
- A photo of a watch provided it displays the time and distance
For those that don’t have one of these, I suggest downloading Strava to your phone and tracking with your run with that by setting up a free account – you can even then join the Arena Strava group!
- 5 miles only (or 8.05km). i.e. can’t be a 5 mile segment as part of a bigger run
- Need to provide screenshot of run (see above)
- Starts now with all entries submitted by 23.59 Sunday 7th June
- Where possible, this should be done locally
- Social distancing rules apply
Scoring/ further info:
- All scores will be valid to count towards the current parkrun/ Arenatopia virtual series
- Usual points for new course record, age grading record or PB based on the fictional Arenatopia times in the table below
- The age grading times are based on 70% of the oldest age within a category
- Your PB is your respective age graded time plus 1 minute
- The course record is fastest graded age time minus 2 minutes
- There will be two opportunities to score as your result for both position and age grading will count
- As such there will be a maximum of 25 points for the lowest scoring runners
- 75 points will now be given to those that do not participate at all (up from 50 in light of runs being scored on both age and position formats)
- You can try as many times as you like during the challenge window but can only your latest submitted scoring run will count
- 1 bonus point given for an overall elevation of 100m+ across the whole run. i.e. does not need to be the final km like the last round
- There is no longer a minimum number of runs to participate in order to score. I.e. anyone can take part and potentially win overall even if they haven’t run one yet
Finally, once the submission date has passed, I’ll probably need a further week to figure it all out so please bear with me!